Friday, July 23, 2010

So what does it mean to be a HIPSTER?

In a memorable scene of the Devil Wears Prada, Miranda Priestly tell the badly dressed Anne Hathaway how fashion is more than the clothes worn and instead it is something bigger than that whole industry, a way of expression and many more factors that influenced the blue sweater that she was wearing. Having loved fashion from as far as I can remember I can't help but side with Miranda on this one. Being such a big industry and world in fashion certain words tend to come up, which brings me to the word that has caught my atention; 'Hipster.' For the longest time I thought that hipster meant someone who was hip and cool, however I recently found out that it has some negative connotations. To quote a quote that said that hipsters spent too much money on clothes to look like they're poor. Ofended by the comment, not because I consider myself a hipster but because I felt I could not be completely off the definition and a little hurt by the connotations, I decided to clearly define the term and hopefuly clear out the confusion.
The term hipster started out as as 'hepcats' in the 1940s refering to those who knew a lot about jazz and considered themselves part of the jazz scene. It eventually became 'hipster' in association with the word 'hip' being defined first by the glossary named "For Characters Who Don't Dig Jive Talk" in the album 'Boogie Woogie In Blue by the pianist Harry Gibson AKA Harry the Hipster.

With such a colorful background hipsters today are known a young adults, from middle and upper classes, who have a distinct tendency for everything to that's alternative or bohemian. Those who move from the suburbs into the cities and have a particular taste for alternative rock and independent cinema.

Hipsters have been targets of criticism for some time saying that their actions mostly contradict their so called 'philosophy' which no one has been able to correclty define. Yet the definition I like the most is people who are looking for new styles, for new music and who adopt that which they like the most. People who want to more about culture who care about those who may be less fortunate and in all sincererity those who are willing to show what they like regardless of the criticism. To me hipster just means spontaneous.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I like hipsters, finding myself being one!

    ReplyDelete